History

1/4

Friendly House is one of Arizona’s pioneer social service agencies – first established in 1920 by the Phoenix Americanization Committee as part of a local initiative to assist immigrants in acquiring the citizenship, education and literacy skills necessary to acculturate into the United States. During the 1920s, an Americanization movement took hold to teach the language, customs, laws, and ideals of America to immigrants.  Friendly House’s origins emerged from both the Americanization and ongoing influence of the “Settlement House” movements of the late 1880s (London, Chicago), where social reformers established houses in neighborhoods to provide education and social services directly to poor workers and immigrant populations who lived there.

Now approaching a century as a charitable organization, Friendly House has evolved to address multiple social service needs in the community. For decades, the organization has remained true to the meaning of its mission – To empower Arizona communities through education and human services.

 

Today, Friendly House offers programs in Early Childhood Development, K-8 Charter School, Youth Education Services, Family and Crisis Services, Workforce Development, Adult Education, Homecare for the Elderly and Disabled, and Immigration and Citizenship Services.

 

With recognition from community, city and state partner agencies as a high-performing organization, Friendly House has become a local institution, rich in history, providing trusted and quality services.

At Friendly House, we have transformed lives for 97 years! With your help, together we will write the next chapter in our success story.